Great British Bake Off 2019: Biscuit Week
Week two on The Great British Bake Off is biscuit week. Head Pastry Chef Brian Roberts shares his lavender and lemon shortbread – a firm favourite which uses lavender from our gardens.
Lavender and lemon shortbread
Makes one 8 inch by 12 inch tray bake.
600g plain flour
300g butter, diced
150g caster sugar
1 tbsp fresh or dried lavender
1 lemon, zest only
– Put all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl and combine with your fingers until a dough is formed – don’t overwork it as it will toughen the end product.
– Line a 8 inch by 12 inch tin with baking parchment. Place the dough into the tin and gently knead the mixture until it evenly covers the tin.
– Cook at 160°C for approximately 20 minutes or until golden in colour.
– Allow to rest for five minutes, then cut with sharp knife into fingers and sprinkle with caster sugar.
– Allow to cool completely before serving.