Great British Bake Off 2019: Dairy Week
It’s Dairy Week on The Great British Bake Off and Pastry Chef Hannah Lowes shares our crème brûlée recipe – a simple, yet delicious dessert.
250 ml clotted cream
1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
10 egg yolks, 1 whole egg
– Pre-heat the oven to 100C fan
– Bring the cream and vanilla to the boil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan
– Mix all of the other ingredients except the sugar together
– Remove the vanilla pod from the cream and pour into the mixture, whisking as you go
– Strain the mixture and pour into eight, 6oz ramekins
– Place the ramekins into a large baking dish
– Bake until set – the edges should be set and the middle should jiggle a bit (around 30-45 mins)
– Chill for a minimum of four hours, or overnight if possible
– To serve, sprinkle a small amount of caster sugar on each dish and shake the ramekins gently so that they are evenly coated. Using a torch, start caramelising the top until nicely browned and bubbling.
We serve our crème brûlée with poached rhubarb, pistachio crumb and pistachio ice cream and rhubarb gel, but try using any seasonal fruits and nuts to accompany yours.