Great British Bake Off: Bread Week
It’s Bread Week on the Great British Bake Off and the BBC have given us only a tease of what’s to come in tonight’s episode. The signature challenge will be ‘a sweet dough with a twist’ – so this week Pastry Chef Martyn Edmonds is sharing his recipe for soft pretzels. Try finishing with rock salt, or cinnamon sugar with a chocolate sauce. Whatever the challenge turns out to be, we’re sure you’ll love making these at home – share your photos with us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
For the pretzels
360ml warm water
1¼tsp dried yeast or 12.5g fresh yeast
2tbsp soft brown sugar
150g strong flour
450g plain flour
For the finishing solution
480ml warm water
2tbsp baking soda
Melted butter for brushing
1. Dissolve the yeast in 360ml of warm water. Then add the salt and sugar.
2. Put both flours into a bowl and make a well in the centre.
3. Pour in the yeast mixture and combine with your hands.
4. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough comes together.
5. Put into a large, lightly greased mixing bowl and covered with cling film. Leave to prove in a warm place for 1 hour.
6. Preheat your oven to 230C/210C fan oven/gas mark 5 and grease a large baking tray.
7. Add the baking soda to 480ml of warm water.
8. Split the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll each into a sausage shape.
9. Dip each piece of dough into the water and then shape: form a U shape with the dough, then cross the ends. Cross again and fold the top loop down so that it sits on top of the ends.
10. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
11. Brush liberally with melted butter and sprinkle with salt or sugar.