Great British Bake Off: Dessert Week
Dessert week calls for a layered pudding, so Pastry Chef Hannah Lowes shares her take on the classic tiramisu with sponge cake layers instead of the traditional sponge fingers.
400g caster sugar
250g plain flour
Cup of freshly brewed coffee
Cocoa powder to dust
– Pre-heat the oven to 160C fan
– In a large bowl, whisk together 250g caster sugar and the eggs until pale and trebled in volume
– Sieve in the plain flour and gently fold into the mixture with a metal spoon
– Line five baking trays or Swiss roll tins with baking parchment, divded the mixture across them and bake each tray for 10 minutes
– Once the sponges are cooked, brush with cold black coffee
– Mix together the mascarpone cheese and 150g caster sugar
– Layer the sponge by filling with the mascarpone mixture and a dusting of cocoa in between each
– Leave in the fridge for a minimum of two hours to chill
Hannah serves her tiramisu with raspberry coulis and a selection of berries, but you could also use coffee beans and chocolate sauce.