Great British Bake Off: The Final
As this year’s Great British Bake Off comes to an end, Pastry Chef Laura Young shares a soufflé recipe that’s a fitting finale to our recipe series.
Passion fruit soufflé
150g egg yolks (from approximately 8 large eggs)
100ml passion fruit purée
2 fresh passion fruits
150ml egg whites (from approximately 5 large eggs)
100g caster sugar
– Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until they form soft peaks, then gradually add the sugar until it gets slightly stiffer (similar to a meringue mix)
– Scoop out the flesh of the passion fruit and gently heat this in a non-stick pan with the passion fruit purée and egg yolks, stirring throughout to avoid lumps
– Once the mixture has thickened to a custard-like consistency, take it off the heat
– Slowly and gently fold both mixtures together to avoid knocking air out of the meringue
– Once they are combined, spoon the mixture into six greased four-inch ramekins
– Pre-heat the oven to 160C fan
– Place the ramekins onto a baking tray and cook for 7-8 minutes – serve straight from oven to avoid the soufflé sinking
Laura likes to serve her soufflé with fresh passion fruit and dusted with icing sugar – but you could also add a scoop of passion fruit sorbet.