Great British Bake Off: The Final
Victoria sponge recipe
The Great British Bake Off has come to an end for another year. In this week’s final, the bakers face three of the toughest challenges ever, including a technical that consists of just one instruction: make a Victoria sponge.
Pastry Chef Martyn Edmonds has shared his recipe for a classic Victoria sponge, although see his tip below for a more impressive finish. Don’t forget to share photos of your bakes with us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
200g caster sugar
200g self raising flour
1tsp vanilla extract
4tbsp strawberry jam
1. Preheat an oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas mark 5.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until pale.
3. Add the eggs one at a time and mix until incorporated.
4. Stir in the vanilla and flour and mix together.
5. Add the mix to a 20cm springform cake tin or two 20cm sandwich tins.
5. Turn out onto a wire rack. If you put a tea towel on the wire rack first, the base of your sponge will not be marked.
6. Once cool, genetle cut in half through the middle, spread the jam over one half and sandwich together. You coudld also add whipped cream or butter cream.
For a more impressive finish, top with whipped cream and Yorkshire strawberries.