Yorkshire parkin recipe
A classic Yorkshire dessert, parkin is spiced ginger cake which makes a tasty afternoon treat with a cup of tea, and is also often eaten around Bonfire night.
Martyn Edmonds and the pastry team at The Royal York Hotel have put their own spin on the traditional parkin with a homemade granola, beer syrup (using local York beer) and a salted caramel sauce.
Try making their fantastic recipe at home or join us in the Refectory for some more delicious desserts.
50g unsalted butter
60g black treacle
60g golden syrup
75ml dark ruby ale (we use York Brewery Centurion’s Ghost Ale)
125g dark brown sugar
7g baking powder
125g plain flour, sieved
7g ground ginger
½ a piece of stem ginger, finely chopped
110g unsalted butter
75g golden syrup
200g Demerara sugar
125ml dark ruby ale
250g dark brown sugar
1 piece of stem ginger, finely chopped
40g ginger syrup (use the syrup from the jar of stem ginger)
100g caster sugar
75ml double cream
50g unsalted butter
Pinch of sea salt
1. Preheat an oven to 160C (140C fan).
2. On a low heat, gently melt the butter in a pan with the treacle, syrup and ale.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the egg and sugar until combined.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and combine with a metal spoon.
5. Pour in the liquid ingredients and mix together.
6. Grease six small pudding moulds, line with baking parchment and fill equally with parkin mixture.
7. Bake for 25 minutes, and allow to cool a little before turning out of the moulds.
1. Turn the oven down to 150C (130C fan).
2. Add all of the ingredients except the oats to a pan over a low heat. Once combined, remove from the heat and stir in the oats.
3. Grease and line a tray with baking parchment and spread the granola evenly. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until golden, turning over every ten minutes (keep a close eye on this, to avoid burning the granola).
1. Place all of the ingredients into a pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Strain through a fine sieve into a measuring jug and chill until ready to serve.
1. Add the water and sugar to a pan on a medium heat.
2. When the liquid turns golden brown, add the cream and whisk together. Then whisk in the butter until you have a smooth sauce, and add the sea salt.
3. Pour into a measuring jug and chill until ready to serve.
1. Warm all of the ingredients through except the granola.
2. Place a portion of the parkin into each bowl and glaze with the beer syrup.
3. Scatter the granola around the parkin and pour over the salted caramel sauce.
4. You can also try serving with small jugs of custard or double cream on the side.
Find out which desserts are on the Refectory menu here.